ANOINTING


The above scripture is one of my favorites!  It was originally prophesied in Isaiah 61: 1. Then Jesus in Luke 4: 18, after returning from 40 days of temptation in the wilderness, returned to Galilee in the power of the spirit, entered the synagogue, picked up the scroll and read from Isaiah.  The scripture says he handed the scroll back to the attendant and with all eyes on Him, announced this scripture was now fulfilled in Him!  Can you imagine how big their eyes must have gotten!  He was announcing that He was the fulfillment of the prophecy.  That He was the anointed one!

What exactly is the anointing?
Anointing means to "smear or rub in", also to consecrate for office.  The Holy Spirit upon Jesus was smearing and rubbing into Him the image of His Father, the character and nature of His Father and that He was now fulfilling the office of a prophet.  How do we know that?  Hebrews 1: 1-3 says "In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things and through whom he made the universe.  The Son is the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word."  Jesus is the exact representation of His Father!  That is why he could say to his disciples, "if you have seen me, you have seen the Father." John 14:9b

We are called Christians because we are meant to carry the same anointing and represent the Father now in our generation!  Christian means "little anointed one".  I am meant to have the life of the Spirit rubbed into me so I can be like Him and do what He did.  I love the scripture in Acts 10 verse 38 where Luke writes that "God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power to go around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with Him."   I want to BE a little anointed one!  I want to flow with the Spirit of God and have His power released through me to change the world!  How does that happen?  By pressing in to know Him.  I can't BE anointed if I live like the rest of the world.  God is only going to put His power upon those, who like Jesus, commit themselves to KNOW the Father.  To walk with the Father, to say what He is saying and do what He is doing.  It is NOT dependent upon my actions or behavior, but it is very dependent upon my yielding to the Father and His ways.  I can't operate out of my flesh or desires and expect God to do whatever I say.  It is me loving Him enough to wait upon Him, sit with Him, develop ears to hear His voice and cooperate with Him.  Then He can truly rub His life into mine.

What about you?  Do you want more of God in your life?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WARRING BRIDE

SHEPHERD'S STAFF

SERVING