BE THE AROMA OF CHRIST

Second Corinthians 4: 4 tells us that, "The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God."

Sometimes I get frustrated with people who don't want to hear about Jesus.  They seem to have all the answers and don't need any crutch to lean on.  I often forget that the enemy of our souls likes to keep them from "understanding" who Jesus really is.  He actually keeps them in the darkness of their own thinking, so they cannot see the truth about who Jesus really is.  I have to remind myself of this as I pray for the people of my city and nation.  He is a wily old devil, who knows how to work with mankind (he has been doing it for a long time).  So I have to remember to ask the Holy Spirit to remove these blinders from their spiritual eyes, so they can see His glory and be drawn to His love.

In worship over the weekend, the Holy Spirit reminded me that we have other spiritual senses too.  Our spiritual senses actually mimic our natural senses.  Just like I have natural taste, touch, sight, hearing and smell, I have the same spiritual senses.  Back in 2 Corinthians, chapter 1, verses 14-16 we are told, "But thanks be to God who always leads us in triumphal procession in Christ and through us spreads everywhere the fragrance of the knowledge of him.  For we are to God the aroma of Christ among those who are being saved and those who are perishing. To the one we are the smell of death; to the other the fragrance of life. And who is equal to such a task?" 

When people are so blinded by the enemy that they cannot see the truth in front of their nose, I can be the smell of Christ to them!  It does not just depend on what they can see!  There are other ways to present Jesus to the world around us!  How do I smell like Jesus? How do I become His aroma to the world around me?

I believe it has to do with the Holy Spirit in me!  The more I allow His Spirit to BE in me and direct my life, the more I smell like Jesus.  Why? Because the Spirit brings into me LOVE, JOY, PEACE, PATIENCE, GOODNESS, KINDNESS, FAITHFULNESS, GENTLENESS AND SELF CONTROL.   The world knows only selfishness and every man for himself.  When the Spirit works in me, to change me from the inside out, I begin to give off the same odor as Him.  Do these things actually have a smell to them?  Yes!  When you are unconditionally loved, no condemnation, no judgment of your actions, you have a good feeling.  That is the smelling or sampling of the goodness of God.  His smell in action.

There is the story told of a little girl who was born prematurely and not expected to live.  BUT she did!  At five years of age she was sitting with her mother out on the porch, when the smell of rain hit the air.  Her mother commented that the smell of rain was in the air.  The little girls response was, " no mother, that is not the smell of rain.  That is the smell of Jesus, when he holds you to his breast and speaks about his love for you."  Wow.  That we would all smell Him in the ways we are loved. 

Jesus, use us to release Your smell to the world around us!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WARRING BRIDE

SHEPHERD'S STAFF

SERVING